ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation IT Service Management System
2 Day course
What you’ll learn
- Understand the requirements of ISO/IEC 20000-1 and what an IT Service Management system represents
- Pass the tests for certification as an IT Service Management professional
- Understand what requirements should a service provider fulfill in order to become ISO/IEC 20000-1 certified
- Participate in consulting or auditing projects for IT Service Management systems
- No specific prior knowledge required
- Familiarity with ISO standards and other service management framework (e.g. ITIL) is helpful
- General knowledge and understanding of service management helps
The purpose of the course is to facilitate the understanding of requirements for an IT service management system as they are formulated by the international standard ISO/IEC 20000-1.
The structure of the course includes:
– an introduction about the parts of ISO/IEC 20000, the relationships of ISO/IEC 20000 with other service management frameworks like ITIL or CMMI as well as the relations with ISO 9000 and ISO 27000. The Plan – Do – Check – Act methodology (the Deming cycle) and its applicability to IT Service management. Scope definition for the service management system and applicability of this standard.
– General management system requirements including top management responsibility, the service management policy, governance of processes operated by other parties, documentation, internal auditing and the management review.
– Design and transition of new or changed services: planning new or changed services, design and development and the transition process for new or changed services.
– Service delivery processes: service level management (detailing the catalogue of services, the service level agreements content and the control of processes operated by suppliers, internal groups or even the customer), service reporting (different types of reports and what they should include), service continuity and availability (planning to ensure service continuity and availability and testing of continuity arrangements), budgeting and accounting for services (direct and indirect costs for services, budgeting and reporting costs against the budget), capacity management (ensuring that the service provider has sufficient capacity to meet requirements; what should the capacity plan include) and information security management (the principles for ensuring information assets are secure, the relationships with ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27002).
– Relationship processes: about the business relationships of the service provider with customers (obtaining customer satisfaction, reviewing the services and managing customer complaints) and suppliers (different types of suppliers and what should a supplier contract cover).
– Resolution processes: about how the service provider should manage incidents, service requests and problems (what should be considered an incident, a service request and a problem and what is the process to manage incidents, service requests and problems from recording to closure).
– Control processes – that include configuration management (configuration items, the configuration management database and the configuration baseline), change management (how changes should be managed so that negative impacts to operations are prevented + criteria on how to define a major impact change) and release and deployment management (meant to ensure that releases are deployed effectively into the live environment without affecting the hardware, software or other service components).
There are 2 quizzes – one about the specific management system requirements and the other with questions referring to service management processes.
The questions are similar to those that you may have to answer if you plan to become certified as an IT Service management professional.
Certification to ISO/IEC 20000-1 – for service providers and for individuals – is also covered in the course.
Who this course is for:
- IT service management practitioners
- ISO consultants
- IT service management auditors
- Professionals looking to get certified in ISO/IEC 20000
- Anyone interested in IT service management and ISO standards
This course is run in our Adelaide office, but broadcast live via our own live streaming platform.
All students get full access to the course, the trainer during and after the course, as well as the elearning site for 12 months.